Current options for treating prostate cancer
Several treatment options are available to men who are diagnosed with early-stage prostate cancer. Treatment often begins a few weeks to a few months after diagnosis. Before you make a treatment decision, be sure to research the benefits and risks of each option.
Your treatment decision depends on many factors
- Has your prostate cancer spread? If your prostate cancer has spread to other parts of the body, certain treatments may not be appropriate.
- What is your age? The benefits and risks of different treatments may vary with age.
- Do you have health problems other than prostate cancer? Having heart problems, diabetes, or other illnesses may affect your treatment options.
- What matters most to you? Keep in mind the benefits and risks of the different treatments, and how they will affect what you value most in life.
- How will a treatment option affect your spouse or partner? Even though the treatment choice is yours, your spouse or partner will also be affected by your decision. It is important to be open and honest with each other about your concerns.